Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Spring Egg and Avocado Salad Sandwich

I made this over the past weekend, as we were getting dumped with another 18" of snow.  I could have made some comfort food and cozied up on the couch next to a warm fire sipping hot cocoa - but let's face it.  With the amount of snow that we have gotten this winter so far, I felt cozied and hot cocoa'd out.  I hate to be a sour puss, but I'm really ready for spring, aren't you?  So, I wanted to make something light and spring-y.  This hit the spot.  I picked up this recipe from Martha Stewart many years ago, and it makes a regular appearance at our house for lunch.  (I did make some adjustments and my recipe follows.)  I love it that it has avocadoes in it. Unfortunately, only the adults like it (I don't know any kid that will eat egg salad sandwiches - let me know if yours do!).  Sunshine settled for her good ol' PB&J. 

Egg and Avocado Salad Sandwiches
Original recipe by Martha Stewart
Adapted recipe by Kitchen Groovy

5 hard boiled eggs
1/2 avocado, chopped
2 T mayonaisse
1 T dijon mustard
1 T lightly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Using a pastry blender or fork, mash together eggs in a large bowl (or use an egg slicer).  Carefully fold in chopped avocado.  Stir in mayonaisse, mustard & lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Spread evenly on bread slices.

Makes roughly 3 sandwiches




It was absolutely P.E.R.F.E.C.T. for a wintery snowed in day.  It certainly had me dreaming of sitting on my deck with my favorite book, or watching my kids run through sprinklers on hot summer days. 

Click here for a printable version of this recipe - Kitchen Groovy

Enjoy and live with gusto!
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I love avocado with eggs, so adding them to egg salad is a great idea! Few things are more comforting than rich, buttery avocados :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a simple and healthy but rich and tasty lunch. I have a ton of avocados at my house that need to be used. This sounds like a great plan for lunch tomorrow! Ad a great way to pretend it's spring...we're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so ready for spring. I hope that's the last snow storm of the season.

    Your egg and avocado salad would make a nice lunch. Stay Warm!

    ReplyDelete