Friday, March 18, 2011

Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones

Happy Friday morning to all of you!  Glad the weekend is upon us?  I for one, am ecstatic!  One big reason is this is the first weekend in many weeks that we won't be running off to a basketball tournament across town!  Our season is over, and I am ready for a break.  My son however, is in a minor mourning period.  Thank God we have a hoop in the driveway :-) 

Another reason is my husband and I are running our first 7k tomorrow - we love to run races, but we have such limited opportunities to do so.  We are excited to take this time for ourselves, finally. 

Being that it's Friday - I thought, why not post a yummy breakfast item that you can potentially indulge yourself with over the weekend?  I hope you enjoy it - they were soo good!!!  Raspberries are my favorite fruit and they are even better with white chocolate!

These really are easy to make - I invited a friend and her daughter over to play one morning, and Miss Sunshine and I whipped these up that same morning and it wasn't a big deal! 

Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones
Original Recipe by Tyler Florence
Adapted Recipe by Kitchen Groovy

2 C All-purpose flour
3 T sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 stick unsalted butter - cold, and diced
1 1/2 C fresh raspberries, washed and dried
3/4 C buttermilk, plus more to brush on scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a food processor bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter cubes and pulse until you have the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then add 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir to combine. As it comes together add berries and fold dough to incorporate berries but not break them up too much.
Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Using a pastry brush, paint the tops of each scone lightly with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.







Chef Note: the recipe says to fold the dough gently as not to break up the berries.  I purposely broke up some of the berries, as it seemed easier to get the dough to come together.  That is why my scones have bursts of blue and purple in the dough, which is why they may not be as pretty as they could have been.  It's up to you if you want to do the same :-)

Please click here for a printable version of this recipe - Kitchen Groovy

Enjoy and live with gusto!
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Delicious. I love the bursts of blue and purple, great idea to break up the berries. Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Om nom nom! I could have used those after the 5K I ran on Thursday. What a lovely celebratory treat :)

    ReplyDelete